EKU junior volleyball player Chloe Rojas gave us an inside look at the volleyball team’s recent road trip to Nashville, Tennessee.


September 21
It’s a big weekend for the Lady Colonels because it’s the start of OVC conference games. Our first two teams on the schedule are Tennessee State University and Belmont University. Preparation for the weekend began on Thursday afternoon with our last practice before hitting the road. After a full day of class, we all practiced from 3 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., then we finished packing, showered and got on the bus. Before heading to Nashville, we stopped for a team dinner at Olive Garden. By 7:30 p.m., we were on the road.
I had a lot of catching up to do in my classes, so I did homework for much of the three and a half-hour drive. Although it was a lot of work, it made the drive go by fairly quickly. We arrived in Nashville at 10:30 p.m. Exhausted, I brought my bags into my hotel room and fell asleep just as my head hit the pillow.

September 22
I woke up this morning at 9:30 a.m., which was the latest I’ve slept in a long, long time. Our game wasn’t until 6 p.m. at night, so for most of the morning I did my homework, mostly preparing for presentations or writing papers. For lunch, we went to First Watch in Franklin, Tennessee. My parents moved to Spring Hill, Tennessee, from the suburbs of Chicago, and Spring Hill is the town next to Franklin, where we are staying, so they came to lunch with the team. I hadn’t seen them since they came to San Diego, so spending time with them was a lot of fun for me.
After lunch, we came back to the hotel, where I continued to do my homework until I started getting ready for the game at 3 p.m. We left for TSU’s gym at 3:40 p.m., where we had a short pregame practice. The game started at 6 p.m. We won the first set, then lost the second. After bouncing back after the between-game talk, we won the third set, but it was a close battle. Then, we finished the game by winning the fourth set. The first win in conference was under our belt.
After the game, we showered in the locker room, got on the bus and headed to my house because my parents were having the whole team over for a team dinner. Because my parents moved this summer and I wasn’t home this summer, I hadn’t yet seen their new house, so driving up to the house, I was so excited. I got to see where I lived, how my mom had decorated it and my own room, finally. My mom made an amazing home-cooked meal that I had missed so much, and we all celebrated our win during the dinner. We went back to our hotel at 10:15 p.m., and we all went right to bed to get some rest for our second match on the road against Belmont.

September 23
I woke up at 8:30 a.m., and I went downstairs and ate breakfast and read a book for about an hour. Our match wasn’t until 2 p.m., so we had some time to relax, pack some of our stuff up and do some homework if we needed to. At 11:30 a.m., we boarded the bus and set out for Belmont. We had our pre-game practice and warm-up. The game started right at 2 p.m.
It was a long-fought game. We won the first set 25-16, an awesome way to start the match. We followed that up with a close loss in the second set, only to come back fighting again in the third. The fourth set was close, but we lost, sending us to the fifth and final set. We were up for most of the game, until they pushed ahead and got the lead at the very end. We lost the final set 12-15.
It was a very tough loss, considering they are one of the top teams in our conference, but, overall the weekend was a battle, and we came out on top for one game, just not the other. After the game, we showered and went to Panera for dinner. My parents came with, and I got to spend the meal with them before saying goodbye and getting on the road back to Richmond. The drive took us about three and a half hours, and I spend most of it in and out of sleep. We got back in Richmond at around 10:30 p.m., and I went home right away. I went straight up to my bed, and I think I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. It was quite the weekend of volleyball.