By Havanna Hagans

Women do better in college than men. Right? They do according to a recent study by Student Monitor. Commissioned by the Association of American Publishers, the study said women study more, get higher grades and graduate sooner.

Assistant Vice President of Enrollment Research and Operations Richard Kroc said women begin to excel at a younger age than men.

The study says 54 percent of students who enroll in a four-year college graduate within six years. Males make up 51 percent of this number and the females slide by them with 57 percent, said Stacy Scarazzo, assistant director for Higher Education of the Association of American Publishers.

Eastern’s Director of Institutional Research Bethany Miller said the official enrollment of female students for fall 2005 is 62 percent, leaving a small 38 percent for the male population.

Some credit this difference in success and growth process to parents who think girls should stay inside and play with dolls and learn how to communicate while boys shoud be outside using their hands and competing.

Junior psychology major Tyler Morgan said he has not observed many differences in study techniques in the people he studies with, and when it came to his younger brother and him, his parents weren’t really the outdoors, sports type. They always pushed them more toward academics.

“I’ve pretty much always been involved in academics,” Morgan said. “My mom pushed me in academics. I credit her a lot.”

Morgan, a member of Sigma Nu fraternity and the Honors Program, frequently meets with a study group on nights before tests. He said the group, which often has more women attending than men, comes together approximately once every couple of weeks for about two to three hours.

Ten to 20 students complete their study guides independently and later come together to discuss the best possible answer for each question, Morgan said.

Unlike Morgan and his friends who meet in the Sullivan Hall lobby, some students choose not to study at all.

“I think some people are already predisposed to learning,” Morgan said. “They don’t have to study as much to get grades as good as everyone else.”

“I think the primary issue is how much time you spend outside of class,” Kroc said. “It’s no secret then that women get better grades.”

According to the Student Monitor study, 50 percent of women study every day, while only 33 percent of men practice the same habit. For this reason, the study said 40 percent of women are more likely to earn an A.

One problem some students may face is not knowing what to study.

“Really listen to what the professor has to say,” Morgan said. “Usually they’ll let you know what they want and what’s gonna be on their tests.”

Eastern also has a number of sororities and fraternities that require members to participate in study sessions. Students who play sports study at the Chad Bratzke Center.

Junior sports management major Kiejon Johnson said the number of study hours a week athletes are required to put in varies depending on the coaches, academic advisers and staff. She studies six hours

Male students interested in catching up with their female counterparts can log on to www. tlc.eku.edu/tips/study_skills for a few tips.

Reach Havanna at
havanna_hagans@eku.edu